It has been months since I have opened my Blogspot account. Academic work, which included long walks to more than 40 libraries for my masteral thesis, library work and family life have taken over me. But now that I am near ending my research, I have decided to continue my journey on writing about the profession that I have embraced since I stepped in the School of Library and Information Studies.
I plan to scribble down updates from our library, thoughts on selected readings, and other things that I would like to share. On a once a week basis at least.
So for my first write up which is not a Reading Assignment [says her thanks to LIS 260 Professor, Mam Sha, for introducing her the world of blogging], I would like to share our activity for the holidays here at our Library. Each Christmas season, we try to put up simple activities which our library users can participate in. Like in the last quarter of 2009, we had the "Guess How Many Book Cards" game where students are asked to guess the number of book cards stacked in our gift box. Right now, we have the "How I Wish" activity where students can post their wishes and greetings on our board at the Main building. Another posting is located at the Annex Campus for the students there. Here, the students pick wish cards from the Book Lending Counter and write their wishes or greetings. If they want to be included in the raffle, they are also requested to include their name and course. The cards are then dropped off at the Library and the staff posts them. Tokens of appreciation will be given away by December.
The response of our patrons in the first week of the activity was overwhelming. Some are candid ("I hope to be a billionaire"--a rip off from the popular song). Some scribbled their desire for certain gadgets like a laptop or a cellphone. Others aired their wishes for the library like additional books and space expansion. Many expressed their positive outlook on their studies and family. I'm posting some of the wishes and greetings here:
- "I wish to put up my own school with a Library exactly like this".-George
- "I hope that I can go on with the flow of discussion with my new course in BSED Bio Sci...I hope that I will pass all the test that we will have..."-Melody
- "To become a professional educator in the near future"-Chenel
- "Sana tumagal pa ako sa pagvovolunteer sa Library dahil alam kong hindi nasasayang ang oras ko...Salamat sa mga taong nakakasama namin at sana mas lalong maging close namin ang mga bagong volunteers."-Lienelyn [I hope that I remain as a volunteer at the Library because I know that I'm not wasting my time here. I'm thankful for the people I'm with and I hope that we get closer with the new volunteers in time.]
Rochelle

No comments:
Post a Comment